This is a quick post to share with you all a recipe from Kathy Patalsky and her blog at Healthy-Happy-Life.com that is focused on vegan food and cooking. “Whoa!” I’m sure you are saying, “I know how you eat, and its not vegan.” That may be true, but when you are avoiding dairy products, vegan cooking sites are very helpful for coming up with interesting sides, salads, snacks and breakfast items. Plus, the vegetarians in my life all benefit from expanding vegetarian options in my kitchen.
The recipe for this Curried Carrot Tahini Slaw was great just as is with many suggestions already for additions that allow you to customize it to your taste and the season. I made almost no changes to the recipe and I took a few of Kathy ‘s suggestions for additions so be sure to click on the link above for the ingredients and directions.
Notes on the recipe:
- My version uses includes matchstick carrots and adds in the suggested mandarin oranges (I have a case I got on sale) and pumpkin seeds, which give it a nice olive green color to contrast with the bright orange.
- This time I skipped the chopped sweet onion – mainly because we served another salad at this meal with chopped onion and I wanted to take this slaw for lunches during the week.
- The dressing is great, so no need to change it. I however had a container of tahini sauce on hand to use up. Tahini sauce has lemon juice in it and is thinned out, so I added a bit extra sauce and cut back on the vinegar to compensate.
- I was able to find the hemp seeds called for at our local natural foods store. They remind me of sesame seeds, but do have a different, maybe slightly sweeter and even nuttier flavor and reminded me a bit of pistachios.
- Kathy suggests topping with some tofu cubes for a complete vegan meal. I’ve been topping it for lunch with leftover proteins from dinner to great effect.